Tweedaagse meeting "Interreg 2 zeeën" project Qualify.
At present, there are no certification guidelines to orient the naval industry when certifying new designs using hybrid assemblies (adhesively bonded, composite to metal connections), which limits their application to secondary structures. In QUALIFY, a multi-scale testing plan will be implemented by a consortium of 11 partners, to provide reliable insights into the long-term performance of hybrid joints operating in demanding marine environments. This will ultimately enable the increased use of adhesively bonded hybrid structures in primary structures in shipbuilding, and will also generate spin-offs to other industries.
QUALIFY will remove the barriers that currently prevent the application of adhesively bonded structures in primary structures, through an innovative combination of tests and techniques:
- Long term prediction models on the durability of the adhesive material and composite-to-metal joint configuration;
- Coupled effects of environment and loading conditions;
- Accelerated test methodology and innovative test set-up; real-time aging tests;
- Reliable inspection protocol and in-situ repair device to preserve the integrity of the monitoring mechanism within the bond.
The project will pursue the following three main objectives:
- Evaluate the long term structural performance of the adhesively bonded hybrid joint under representative operational and environmental conditions;
- Develop a reliable inspection and maintenance methodology for adhesively bonded hybrid joints;
- Develop a procedure (Guidelines) for the qualification of adhesively bonded hybrid joints in primary structures in marine applications.
More information on the scope, consortium and observing partners can be found at http://www.m2i.nl/portfolio-items/qualify/
On 17-18 May 2018, the second physical meeting is organized at GreenBridge, Ostend, Belgium.